Despite the current recession, urban development and planning in the US is an area that remains steady and stable. Communities continue to change or grow, and there is always a pressing need to oversee these changes in order to make it practical and harmonious. Without urban development planning, things can easily descend into a chaotic mess, which can prove disastrous for the overall health and wealth of a community.
For those who specialize in this field, urban development jobs can be found in both the public and private sector.
Public Urban Planning
The government continues to hire urban planners in great numbers, and this is true in the federal, state, and local governments. An urban planner affiliated with the government may be expected to deal with any of these issues:
- Redesigning and rebuilding decrepit and deteriorating neighborhoods and areas in a given locality.
- Planning and distributing the land for industrial, commercial, or residential usage.
- Making plans for the housing of disenfranchised or poverty-stricken citizens.
- Making plans to revitalize an area by constructing new commercial establishments, sports arenas, or entertainment venues.
- Communicating with the public and participating in public discussions regarding the use of public property
- Monitoring builders and contractors to ensure that they are compliance with local building ordinances and zoning laws.
- Balancing the needs of various government officials and private businesses.
Private Urban Planning
The private sector also needs urban developers and planners as well, and many urban planners have found employment with civil engineering firms, construction companies, architectural organizations, and even private consulting firms. Even a freelance urban planner can easily find work, as many localities often hire urban development consultants to provide technical advice for specific projects in construction and building design. A private urban planner may also be hired in order to lend assistance when a firm needs to negotiate with government officials and agencies regarding corporate construction.
One of the main advantages of working for the private sector is that a professional has greater leeway regarding schedules and methodologies, and projects may be joined due to one’s interest instead of simply being ordered.
Specializing in Transportation
Transportation is an important specialty in the field of urban planning. It may involve helping out in the planning of mass transit systems and planning how to manage traffic congestions. Air pollution may also have to be dealt with.
The need for urban development and planning in the US is vast and continuous, and a professional in this field of work will never lack the opportunities to move forward.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Shaun Donovan addressed the 2012 Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) National Convention hosted in Las Vegas, Nevada.